Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Bittersweet Baking





Today was a warm summer’s day, full of hugs, songs, smirks, smiles and sadness. I said my final goodbyes to Emily, Trenton and Chloe. Our summer together may have ended but I leave full of joy, carrying inexpressible memories which I shall keep for a lifetime.



 Our last few days together were spent baking for our Cupcake Stand, which we finally set up and had today. We raised over a hundred dollars selling cupcakes alone and all of the money made from this sale, catering, and our snow cone and lemonade stands totaled to about two hundred and fifty dollars.  As previously proposed, all of our earnings will be presented and donated to the Bastrop Pregnancy Resource Center.  Yesterday, the four of us baked about eighty cupcakes and then we had friends and family supply us with even more of these little, fabulous, homemade desserts. 

 We made everything, and I mean everything, from scratch. Yesterday, we prepared three types of batter and three different icings. We sold a simple vanilla cupcake with a lavender cream cheese icing and edible pearls. Next came our favorite red velvet cupcake with white cream cheese frosting. Last but not least, the sweetheart chocolate cupcake with pale pink, butter cream frosting. YUM! 




I gobbled up all three kinds today, and that was probably not the best idea. We didn’t bake any this morning, but instead we finished all the piping. It was real fun and messy. Then we transported the cupcakes to all the different places we were selling and it really felt like Ace of Cakes.  The kids gave me the prettiest black and white apron with pearls and the absolute best measuring spoons as a farewell present.
             
                                          



I will miss our Indian powwows, dancing, games of little dog, capturing “little feather” and chopped. I will miss hearing giggles and turning only to find that I am being videotaped as I struggle to communicate in Spanish with the maid. 


I will miss chupacabra’s, feeding the rabbits, all the water balloon fights, swimming and Trenton’s attempts at getting me fired.  But more than anything else, I will miss my three little sous chefs and... 
forever friends.  




P.S: Want a tummy ache? You can find all of the recipes that we used, here: http://www.joythebaker.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment